Sunday, October 25, 2009

Post Graduation

What do I do after graduation? This is a question that I've found myself asking over and over again especially within the past few months. What does everyone else do? Well, in the case of most of my friends and pledge brothers, they've all managed to secure jobs ahead of time by having the aggressive initiative attitude and having previous experience with different internships and coops. I'm beginning to regret some of my previous college decisions now that I have the opportunity to reflect and wonder where the time went. Rather than following the norm, I spent several summers off the beaten path choosing more obscure jobs that more often than not were under less than ideal conditions. Now that I've begun the job hunt, I'm realizing the error of my ways. Even though I always had encouragement to explore other options from people telling me, "Its ok if you don't know what to do," I feel more challenged now than ever. They normally reassured me that things will work out naturally and everything is going to be alright in the end. From the position I'm in right now, half of me wishes I could go back in time and make those people eat their words and shake some sense into them. They all said it would be ok but none of them explained how disorienting and difficult a job search is when you've got no job experience and few directions to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment